Getting Started with the NLog Insight Extension
December 1, 2012 Leave a comment
We’ve added support for the NLog appender. This allows you to leverage your current investment in NLog, but leverage the power and flexibility that comes with the ReflectInsight viewer. You can view your NLog messages in real-time, in a rich viewer that allows you to filter out and search for what really matters to you.
The Nlog extension supports v188.8.131.52. However if you need to support an older version, then you will need to download the ReflectInsight Logging Extensions Library from CodePlex. You can then reference and rebuild the extension against your a specific release of the NLog DLL.
1. Download and install the ReflectInsight Viewer. You will need this installed to view your messages from the ReflectInsight Logging Extensions.
2. Once you have the ReflectInsight Extensions, go to your project in Visual Studio and add a reference to ReflectSoftware.Insight.Extensions.NLog.dll.
3. The next step is to configure your app or web configuration file and incorporate the ReflectInsight appender. If you don’t already have an App.config or Web.config, add it. Then open the configuration file and add a new config section as shown here:
4. Now you need to add another configuration file to your project for the Insight configuration. Typically this is called Insight.config.
5. Now that you’ve added the Insight configuration file to your project, we’ll need to add an entry to your app/web configuration file to reference it:
6. Now you need to configure your NLog configuration with an reference to the ReflectInsight Appender. Create a new configuration file called NLog.config and update it with the following section:
7. That’s it, you’re done!
8. For an even easier setup and configuration, try using our NuGet package which will automate all of this for you.
We’ve created a NuGet package for our NLog extension. You can find it over on Nuget.
To install ReflectSoftware.Insight.Extensions.NLog extension, run the following command in the Package Manager Console.
ReflectInsight Viewer Download
Download ReflectInsight now and enjoy!
We welcome any feedback you may have on our Insight Extensions or the ReflectInsight Viewer. This can be done on our UserVoice site.
The ReflectSoftware Team